- Must have completed CodePath’s Summer 2020 Technical Interview Prep Class. Students who drop out early and do not receive a certificate of completion will not be eligible for the scholarship.
- Must identify as Black/African American, AND
- Low income (household income or parents’ combined income less than $50,000) OR a first-generation college student (you are the first in your family to attend college or university)
- Must demonstrate loss of an internship or difficulty getting an internship due to COVID-19
- Must be enrolled in a US college or university
- All applicants must currently be pursuing a computer science or software-related major
- September 15, 11:59 pm PT - Application deadline
- September 16 - 23 - Application Review Period by CodePath.org
- September 30 - We will notify the students who will receive the scholarships
Applications - CLOSED
Scholarship applicants will be notified on September 30.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the CodePath Black Excellence Scholarship Program?
A competitive scholarship program which will award $5,000 each to 10 Black/African American students who have completed CodePath’s Summer 2020 Technical Interview Prep Class, AND are low-income OR are a first generation college student. The fund was established to help vulnerable computer science students through the difficulties of continuing their education during the disruptions of the coronavirus pandemic.
When can I apply for the scholarship?
You can apply today. The final deadline is September 15, 2020 at 11:59 pm PT.
Who can apply for the scholarship?
You can apply if you were one of the 765 students who completed the CodePath Summer 2020 Technical Interview Prep Class, are Black/African-American, AND are either low-income (with a family income below $50,000/year) or a first generation college student (you are the first in your family to attend college). You must also demonstrate that you lost an internship due to Covid-19, or had difficulty applying for internships because of the pandemic.
What does the application process entail?
It is simple to apply, with an online form above that will ask for short essays describing:
- why you are applying for this scholarship,
- how the pandemic affected your internship opportunities,
- what you will do with the scholarship,
- why you are majoring in computer science/software engineering, and
- what you hope to do in your career.
I was not enrolled in CodePath’s Summer 2020 class. Can I still apply?
No. You must have completed the Summer 2020 Technical Interview Prep Class to apply for the Black Excellence Scholarship Program. But CodePath has other opportunities, including our no-cost technical courses (iOS mobile development, Android mobile development, Cybersecurity, Mobile App Design), and will be announcing further scholarship opportunities in the near future. Follow us on social media to stay in the loop.
When will I be notified of my scholarship status?
The winners of the Black Excellence Scholarship Program will be announced on September 30, 2020.
I have more questions. Who can I contact?
Please email email@example.com with any questions.